Oral health is often the least priority when it comes to overall health. Little do people know that it is one of the cheapest ways to protect one’s health. To practice good oral hygiene, start with the basic, cleaning your teeth. It is recommended to follow the teeth cleaning guide provided by a London Ontario dentist.
Taking care of your teeth and gums is essential. The bacteria that cause gum disease may get into your bloodstream and affect your heart. Good oral hygiene may enable you to keep your teeth for a longer period of time. Through this, the possibilities of having dentures may come in during the later years of your life.
Here is a sample of a teeth cleaning guide you can follow:
- It is important that you have the proper toothbrush for your oral needs. For example, your London Ontario dentist may recommend a soft-bristled toothbrush if you have sensitive gums.
- Take your time. The recommended time for brushing your teeth is 2-3 minutes. Most of the time, we brush our teeth too quickly without lasting for a minute. It is important to take your time when brushing to ensure the cleanliness of your mouth.
- Hold the brush correctly. Hold your toothbrush on a 45-degree angle to make sure you reach all areas of your mouth. Be diligent to reach even the back part of your teeth especially the chewing area.
- Be Gentle. Do not brush too hard as it may cause trauma to your teeth and gums. For proper cleaning, make sure that you brush the entire surface of each tooth.
- Clean your tongue. After you brush your teeth, do not forget to clean your tongue to remove the food residue. This also keeps your breath fresh.
A basic teeth cleaning guide of flossing and rinsing your mouth with an antibacterial mouthwash is something that you can follow at home. This is to ensure that you clean between your teeth and prevent bacteria build up in your mouth. If you need professional teeth cleaning, this will be provided by your London Ontario dentist.