Teeth whitening products are widely used these days as companies produce more of its kind. Patients buy these since they’re cheaper and easier to maintain as when you see a dentist for a dental cosmetic procedure. It makes non-users wonder if teeth whiteners are really effective.
According to the dentists at Stoney Creek Family Dental, patients suffer teeth discoloration for multiple reasons:
- Tea, coffee, and wine are examples of drinks that cause stains to your teeth. They contain color pigments that are strong enough to easily attach and stay on the tooth’s enamel.
- Smoking tobacco is one habit that’s bad for both general and dental health. It’s composed of a dark tar and nicotine that creates a yellowish stain when mixed with oxygen. Smokers need to use tough teeth whitening products consistently to remove teeth stains.
- The older the patient is, the weaker his tooth enamel becomes. The patient’s yellowish dentin becomes more visible when the hard surface of the tooth wears off.
- The tooth’s dentin also reacts when there’s facial trauma. Injury to the mouth often results in a black tooth.
- The Stoney Creek Family Dental also finds certain medications that affect a tooth’s color. Antihistamines and antipsychotic medicines may have teeth tingeing components. Children’s developing teeth may also acquire intrinsic stain due to fluoride overuse.
How do teeth whitening products work?
These teeth whitening products contain bleaching agents called carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide. These chemicals penetrate and break down tooth blemishes into tinier particles. With this process, the discoloration gradually fades, leaving brighter and whiter teeth.
Patients who trust Stoney Creek Family Dental with their oral health have plenty of options to brighten their smiles. Their dentists perform chairside bleaching, a common in-office teeth whitening treatment, done in a single visit. They can also recommend effective teeth whitening products for you!